Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Crock Pot: Ground Turkey "Gumbo"

I absolutely love my Turkey Chili recipe as one of my go-to's for weekly meal prep, but I wanted to mix it up a little this time!

Introducing...Ground Turkey "Gumbo"! 

I used my crock pot along with these main ingredients:


-1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 bell peppers
- 5(ish) radishes
- 3 large carrots
- 3(ish) celery stalks 
- 1 can black beans (or beans of choice)
- 1 carton vegetable broth (could use chicken or beef)
- 2 cups brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste

I chopped up all my veggies and put them in my crock pot (on high) with the 1 lb of ground turkey and 1 can of black beans:


To get the cooking started I added 2 cups of the vegetable broth and the salt and pepper. I let all of this cook for a couple hours because I didn't want to over cook my rice. 

So at about the 2 hour mark I added 2 cups of brown rice along with two more cups of vegetable broth:


I let this all cook for another couple hours so that all of the broth could be soaked up by the rice.

And there's the Ground Turkey "Gumbo"! 


It's a nice alternative to the chili since it adds a little grains in there and I was glad I added the radishes for a new twist! It's fun to experiment with winter time veggies :)

Super simple and easily modified for whatever you'd like to add! 

Make it vegetarian style with more brown rice and beans!

Add tons of your favorite veggies and it's a great way to pack them into your diet!


No comments:

Post a Comment