Monday, March 12, 2012

Meatless Monday!

For a while now I have been consciously not eating any meat for a day or two each week. A while back, I had been a full-on vegetarian for years, so in some ways this practice just comes naturally to me. 

Sometimes I would realize that my meat free day happened to land on a Monday and I would laugh and say "I had a meatless Monday!". Then recently I found out that there is a non-profit organization pushing this "Meatless Monday" idea nationally and globally! 



It might seem like a funny or pointless campaign, but I think it is really cool! The whole idea behind it is to get people to cut back on eating meat, which can be very high in calories and saturated fat. Along with the health aspects, this campaign takes a look at the carbon footprint that is left behind by the meat industry and the use of resources associated with it. 

Going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel (Meatless Mondays site). 

I encourage you to check out their website: 


See if you can get through a meatless Monday and take their pledge! Even if you would not like to commit to this, it should at least get you thinking more about what you are eating and how it effects your health and the environment.

Let me know how you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment