Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mountain Dew Reveals a Breakfast Beverage!? No Thanks!

I just saw a couple articles about Pepsi Co's release of a Mountain Dew Breakfast Beverage, Kickstart! Before even reading about it all I could think was, EW!

These "energizing orange citrus" and "energizing fruit punch" are supposed to provide you with a new way to start your day:




They think they can promote something like this just because is has a hint of fruit juice!? 5% to be exact! 5% fruit juice in the whole 16oz can!? What is the point!?

According to www.shape.com here are the nutritional facts:  
Nutrition score per serving (16-ounce can): 80 calories, 0g fat, 20g carbs, 19g sugars, 0g protein, 170mg sodium

OK, so great no fat, I guess. 

The funny thing is that a glass of natural orange juice may have the same amount of sugars and carbs, but it is coming from 100% fruit and contains electrolytes, there are no fake additives and who knows what else!

I have not been able to find an exact list of ingredients, but Therese Bonanni, R.D. the writer from www.shape.com called the company to get that info from them.

This is what she had to say about that conversation: "When the customer service rep had trouble pronouncing them, I knew it was going to be a long list. In the interest of the company, I will not divulge the complete can contents (nearly 20 items long), but I will say that they are not fresh off the tree or vine—without further processing. For each variety, the 5 percent juice is comprised of white grape juice concentrate or concentrated orange juice, which comes after high-fructose corn syrup. I don’t know about you, but I’d prefer 100 percent juice and 0 percent HFCS."

I completely agree with her! Why not keep it natural?





Still need some caffeine (I know I do!)? Black coffee is very low in calories, a non-fat latte (small) has around 100 calories, so you can still get your wake-up!

Don't want that much caffeine? Try breakfast teas, chai, or yerba matte!

Overall, I urge you to not jump to the newest thing on the market that may seem like a great idea, but in the end it may not be. These big companies have endless amount of cash for advertisements and promotions, be aware of what they are actually selling and read your labels!! If there is a laundry list of ingredients that you can't even pronounce, skip it!!

Strive for healthy and natural, not fake and processed!

What is your favorite breakfast beverage?

No comments:

Post a Comment